Once upon a time, there was a curious little boy named Emerson...
![]() |
| taken moments before the fall... |
Climbing and watching what we're doing are two of Emerson's favorite things. He often wants to get on the counter and "brush his teeth" (read: bite on daddy's toothbrush, sometimes actually brushing) or play with the faucet. I tended to put him up and let him since I'm standing near him the entire time. Well, never think that it will never happen to you, what ever it is, it will. Murphy is a cruel, cruel teacher. The moment you turn away, will be the moment they decide to get more adventurous. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Emerson fell. Scared him half to death but started screaming like you wouldn't believe. I'm calling Bryant in hysterics, leaving what amount to insane noises I'm sure he couldn't understand. After calling his pediatricians office's after hours number and being told to keep an eye out for certain behaviors and tells for various problems that could arise, we had a normal night. 45 minutes of whimpering and wanting to be held, then we're back ready to play. This is Wednesday night. Yes, he fell off while I was getting ready for church. Guess we weren't supposed to go that night.
Thursday we're fine and dandy. Playing, eating, having a good old toddler boy time. But as we're getting ready for bed, I noticed a bruised knot on the side of Emerson's head just above/behind his right ear...where we fell. Bet you can guess what happens next!
Fast forward a little to this morning. I called and spoke to his pediatrician's nurse and she was amazed we hadn't been told to go straight to the Children's ER. Arrival at Blair E Batson, roughly 10am. Departure, 4pm. Emerson added much to his list of firsts today: ER visit, new friend we'll never see again, x-rays, CT Scan, IV/blood taken through IV. Everyone was happy with the fact that he was so normal and active! But we did have a small skull fracture. There was no bleeding under the skull, just the usual blood/fluid under the skin as you would get from a bad bruise. Good signs considering there's a very important organ involved.
The X-ray was our first nemesis. Daddy had to hold the arms/chest, while Mommy had the legs. The CT Scan...oh that was NOT our friend. Emerson was wrapped up like a burrito. and Daddy had to hold Emerson's chin so they could get a good shot. Then the two vampires came in the room. Poor Emerson. Obviously, being held down is bad news and Emerson knows it. On top of that, the nurse hit the vein but couldn't draw the blood out. Not sure why. So switching arms was in order. After they took all the blood they needed, the IV was left in just in case. They taped it up good, but I'm convinced that if Emerson hadn't been so sleepy he would have gotten that tape off and the IV out. But after all this, the poor thing just wanted Mommy to hold him and he fell asleep.
Luckily, we're nearing the end of our story. After a few more doctor updates, we were ready to head home. The nurse woke Emerson up trying to take off all the tape and get the IV out, but he was ready to go.
He was literally shaking with joy once we got home, ate, and started playing outside. I don't think he's ever been happier to be in the backyard (and that's his favorite place!).
![]() |
| Our arrival |
![]() |
| ohh this looks like fun |
![]() |
| needed a toy...thank goodness for our sign & sing flash cards |
![]() |
| playing |
![]() |
| after our crazy vampires left |
![]() |
| take it off! |
![]() |
| and we're out! |
Ok, Emerson this is just for you. One day when you're older and you read this, I'm sure you won't remember a thing. You probably won't even care, or think that it's funny. Your Daddy and I...well...I don't think we'll forget. I think you took a few years off Mommy's life on Wednesday. I'm glad you won't remember this since that means you won't remember the few times Mommy wasn't able to keep her freak outs to herself. Yes, I lost it. I broke my baby and there just aren't words for that feeling. But thank God that He had dispatched a few angels that day to keep you from doing any serious damage. We love you. We want you to explore, climb, and understand your surroundings and this world in your own way. However, Mommy and Daddy could do without ever seeing the inside of the ER again.








By sweet boy. I hate that he had to go through so much. And guess what? I know how it makes a mom and dad feel, too. Thanking God that all is well. Emerson has a wonderful mom and dad who would do anything for him, but unfortunately, accidents will happen.
ReplyDelete